When you are planning for baseball games, backyard cookouts, and pool parties, you likely consult your local Greenville area weather channel to see what the forecast will be. After all, no one likes to plan summer activities in the rain. But, have you ever checked the forecast to see what the likelihood of mosquitoes would be? We imagine not. Mosquitoes thrive in wet conditions so when there is an abundance of rain predicted, there is a good chance the mosquito population will increase.
According to the Old Farmers Almanac, Greenville will see above-normal amounts of rainfall this summer. With this anticipated forecast, homeowners should plan now to reduce and prevent mosquito activity around their home and property. As those pesky bugs buzz right into your yard, you might be wondering what you can do to get rid of them. There is only so much swatting and slapping you can do! Spencer Pest Services has several tips to help you get ahead of the mosquito invasion this summer.
There are things you can do to reduce mosquito activity in your yard:
- Remove standing water from buckets, pools, bird baths, and other areas where stagnant water can collect.
- Keep your grass cut short to encourage water drainage and reduce the use of sprinklers, especially when it is predicted to rain.
- Be sure your gutters can keep up with the predicted rain by cleaning them out and making sure that downspouts are draining properly.
- Use plants that mosquitoes don’t like such as citronella, lemongrass, lavender, basil, and marigolds in your landscaping and in deck or patio pots.
Unfortunately, DIY methods are not always enough to keep mosquitoes away, especially when so much rain is predicted for the Greenville area. In that case, you’ll want to try our outdoor living pest control plan which includes mosquito management. At Spencer Pest Services our mosquito plan includes:
- Inspection of your yard and neighboring areas for areas of standing water that are potential breeding grounds for mosquitoes.
- Spraying of brush and low-lying bushes and shrubbery, as well as along fences and deck areas, where mosquitoes like to live.
- Recommendations, like those above, for reducing standing water that attracts mosquitoes to your yard.
With a wetter than usual summer predicted for Greenville, SC, now is the time to contact Spencer Pest Services and get ahead of the mosquito invasion of your property so that you can get outside and enjoy some of the beautiful summer days that are to come without having to worry about mosquitoes!