Back-to-school brings excitement for parents who get a normal life and routine back again after the carefree days of summer. But Greenville parents can’t be carefree about the risk of their kids bringing home back-to-school bed bugs. This time of year is peak activity for bed bugs, and schools are a common place to pick them up. Parents can follow the useful tips below to help reduce the risk of their child bringing home bed bugs from school. If you are unfortunate enough to get bed bugs from school or know that there is an outbreak at school, it’s important to call Spencer Pest Services immediately.
Why are schools a common bed bug hotbed?
So many children all in one place bringing belongings back and forth from home to school makes schools a prime location for bed bugs. Bed bugs hitchhike from place to place in books, bags, coats, and other clothing. When children and their personal items are in close proximity, it’s easy to pass bed bugs around.
What can parents do to reduce the risk of bed bugs?
There are several things parents can do to help reduce the chances that their child picks up bed bugs at school:
- Leave personal belongings at home. As much as your young child may wish to bring their blankie or favorite stuffed animal to school, keep them home.
- Teach your child to hang up his or her backpack and stuff outerwear inside.
- Use personal lockers, whenever possible, rather than commonly shared cubbies or hooks.
- Keep school gear in a mudroom or garage rather than in the house, and check it daily for signs of bed bugs.
- Encourage your child not to share clothing items, hats, and the like with classmates.
- Wash backpacks, cloth lunch boxes, and other personal belongings frequently in the hot wash cycle and dry in a hot dryer.
- Remind your child to hang up coats, sweaters, and sweatshirts rather than toss them in a pile or leave them on the ground or floor.
Why call for professional pest control immediately?
If you suspect a bed bug infestation or have heard about an outbreak at school, your best bet is to call for a bed bug inspection immediately. Catching the problem early helps increase the odds of eliminating the problem before it gets out of hand.
At Spencer Pest Services, we help South Carolina homeowners prepare for bed bug inspection and treatment. Our technicians will come to your home and provide a free bed bug inspection. If bed bugs are detected, a treatment plan will be formulated. Our bed bug checklist helps you to prepare for your eco-friendly bed bug treatment. You can rest assured that we will get rid of the bed bug problem in your Greenville area home. Contact us.