September 26, 2019
With the steamy summer receding, many Greenville residents like to venture outdoors to enjoy the fall weather. Keep in mind that it’s important to keep checking yourself, your family members, and your pets for ticks as fall arrives. That’s because adult ticks become more active in this kind of weather.
Ticks move from place to place on host animals so it’s not always predictable how or when they’ll arrive on your Greenville property. However, there are some preventative steps you can take to keep your property less inviting to ticks and their hosts, which include birds, rodents, and other wildlife.
Keep the grass trimmed.
- Cut back overhanging branches and thick brush that provides hiding spaces.
- Make sure there is no excessive moisture around your yard, which can result from overwatering plants or spacing plants too close to each other. Ticks need moisture and wet ground can create a humid area that attracts them.
- Keep your property clutter free. The more clutter there is, the more attractive your property will be to rodents and wildlife.
Protect Yourself and Your Pets
Ticks are happy to hitch a ride on your pets and on you. Take these steps to protect your family, including the four-legged members.
- Ask your veterinarian for the best tick-control products for your pets.
- Keep your dog away from areas with tall grass and weeds where ticks may hide.
- Check your pets for ticks every time they come in from outside.
- Wear light-colored, long-sleeved shirts and pants when you’re working in the yard.
- Check your kids and yourself for ticks when you’ve been outdoors.
Professional Pest Control
Unfortunately, ticks can get into your home even if you’re vigilant. That’s because they come in on rodents like mice that can squeeze through tiny holes to enter your home. Many Greenville residents rely on Spencer Pest Services to provide routine treatments to control ticks in their yard and home. Both our Outdoor Living Package and our Complete Package include tick treatments. We’d be happy to provide a free pest inspection and talk to you about the pest services we offer. Call us today to set up an appointment.