February 8, 2019
With spring on its way, South Carolina will soon be dealing with its official state bird: the mosquito. The climate here, with hot summers and lots of humidity, contributes to large mosquito populations each year. Early preparation for spring mosquito swarming in South Carolina is of the utmost importance.
Why You Don’t Want Mosquitoes Around Your South Carolina Home
Everyone knows that mosquitoes are annoying. Their buzzing in your ears is bad enough without the itchy welts they like to leave on every exposed part of your body. But there are more reasons than being a simple annoyance to want to avoid mosquitoes.
Although the United States sees very few mosquito-related deaths, mosquitoes are the deadliest animal on earth, causing millions of deaths each year around the world. Here in America, they can spread West Nile virus, Zika virus, and yellow fever, to name just a few of the diseases they carry. The best way to avoid these illnesses is to avoid mosquitoes entirely.
How to Prevent Mosquitoes From Swarming
To prepare for the spring mosquito hatching that is soon to come, it’s important to take preventative measures now. Mosquitoes need water in order for their eggs to hatch. By eliminating standing water on your property, you will greatly reduce the mosquito populations around your home.
Here are a few ways you can prepare:
- Check your yard for low spots that collect water and fill them in.
- Change the water in bird baths and pet dishes at least once a week to prevent hatching.
- Clean out your gutters to stop water from collecting in them.
- If you collect rainwater, keep the container tightly covered when not in use.
- Look for items on your property that inadvertently collect water, and come up with a way to prevent them from doing so.
- Clean up yard debris, like leaves, to prevent water from pooling.
- Trim tree limbs to allow more sun on your lawn, which will aid in drying things up faster.
When to Call the Professionals
Even when you eliminate extra moisture from your property, mosquitoes still may end up invading your property. If you find yourself with an abundance of these insects bothering you this spring, call Spencer Pest Services. Our seasonal mosquito treatments can eliminate nearly all of the mosquitoes on your property, making your yard a wonderful place to spend your time again.
Don’t let mosquitoes dictate your life this spring. Call Spencer Pest Services for help today!