March 19, 2019
Stinging insects are becoming more active again this year. Are you ready?
Typically, stinging insects are most active from early spring through fall. This is when most people are spending more time outdoors, creating situations that attract these insects to their yards. They may be beneficial for pollination of plants, and they do prey on other insects, but when stinging insects nest too close to homes, they can pose serious dangers.
You can almost guarantee that one type of stinging insect or another will want to crash your outdoor events, picnics, and barbecues. This is true especially if you have uncovered foods, drinks, and trashcans offering up what they consider to be delectable treats. They are also attracted to the variety of flowers that you may have planted around your home.
Wasps, hornets, and bees cause many people to run for cover in fear of getting stung. Swatting at them is no help, as this only makes them angry and causes them to defend themselves. Their stings are pretty painful and are even worse for those who experience allergic reactions to their venom. People who are allergic will need to take action right away if stung in order to avoid anaphylactic shock, which often results in severe swelling or hives on the face, throat, and other areas of the body. Needless to say, stinging insects don’t belong in close proximity to outdoor areas where people spend a lot of their time.
Here is a list of 5 crucial steps to take to keep your Greenville lawn free of stinging insects:
- Inspect your home on a regular basis for nests of stinging insects and, for your own safety, stay well away from them.
- If you find any holes in your drywall or exterior walls, repair them right away to keep stinging insects from nesting in them.
- Use natural repellents by planting wormwood plants, thyme, mint, and eucalyptus in your yard. Peppermint, lemongrass, geranium, and clove oils can also deter these pests.
- Keep all food and drink that you bring outdoors covered, or take it back indoors as soon as everyone is finished eating.
- Place outdoor trash bins a distance away from where people are gathered, and keep them covered with tight-fitting lids.
Don’t risk aggressive stinging insect problems around your home this year. Get in contact with a professional pest service that understands the habits and behaviors of the insects that are plaguing your home and yard. Better yet, prevent your family from falling victim to these dangerous pests by calling on Spencer Pest Services. Our professional treatment options are safe and provide a sure-fire way to protect your property from problem pests.
Call Spencer Pest Services in Greenville for more information. We are happy to help!